Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Sally has died from dysentry"

My parents were against video games. Fortunately neither my brother nor I were all too interested in them either but reading the articles for this week's class on the subject of game-centred play and my classmates blog posts, I am impressed with how much of an impact these games have had.


I don't know how the one cd-rom game that my brother and I did play got past my parent's guard, but it certainly more closely resembled an acid trip than a history lesson. Created by New York artist Rodney Greenblat in 1992, players in the game have to fight the evil Mediogre, CEO of BLANDO corporation, a company hell bent on turning children everywhere into brainwashed zombies (okay so maybe I can see where my leftist parents were going with this...). The "good guys included Titan Rose, "a super-strong weight-lifting hulk who loves to read and write beautiful poetry", a slam-dancing bungee-jumping incontinent sheep named Stinkabod Lamé, a four-armed, scottish-accented techno whiz named Yendor Talbneerg, and their leader, the exiled princess Anne Dilly Whim who has horns growing out of your head. Just to prove that I couldn't make up this kind of weirdness here is a clip of one especially absurd part of the game. Don't say you weren't warned:
...Yup, that was my childhood folks. I don't think you could get any further away from historical content if you tried.


Anyways, over at my more normal friends' houses they were playing a game with significantly more historic content. And I bet you can guess which one. Oh yes folks, I am referring to perhaps the first historic video game ever (Professor MacDougall?), The Oregon Trail. I hadn't realized it but apparently the game was first developed in the early 70s! While early versions were rather crude, the game reached its peak just as we were first jabbing our sticky little fingers at keyboards in the late 80s and early 90s. The game was aimed at teaching schoolkids about the often harsh conditions the pioneers faced by letting them assume the role of a wagon leader, leading a group of settlers from Missouri to Oregon in the mid-19th century by means of Conestoga wagons. I only played the game a few times and enjoyed it though my party always seemed to die of dysentery. I suppose the game did teach me a little about the hardships the pioneers faced, but being a kid, my friends and I enjoyed intentionally sabotaging our party and seeing how quickly and gruesomely they would die (don't pretend like you never did this). This guy sums up the various ways of playing The Oregon Trail, and I think keeping these tendencies in mind is important when developing any interactive game:




Newer games are of course more sophisticated and by immersing a player fully in an environment they become invested in the outcome. I see a lot of potential for video games enhancing historic skills and knowledge in this regard but from our readings this weeks it seems as though there are many obstacles to creating a game that is both educational and fun. Though the path to this goal is not clear, our generation and onwards have been brought up in an environment where video games are an important part of entertainment and it is vital for historians to figure out a way to capitalize on these audiences.

Have you played any video games that you felt really taught you something about history? Do you think it's possible to get past the shoot-em up culture that currently characterizes the genre?

4 comments:

  1. "He was suckin' (yeah), suckin' (yeah)!" What a game Adair! I wish I had known about this game growing up. And thank you for the video of The Oregon Trail. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that when we chatted about this game in class this week, I had understood "The Organ Trail"... My mind started to wonder what kind of historical game it could've been... Was it based on historical trails used to sell organs on the black market? Or was it a trail of famous historical organs (musical instrument)? Ha!

    So to answer your question, one of the few semi-historical video game I would have played as a kid was Blue Max, a game in which you bomb German enemy planes and buildings in World War I. It was with a Commodore 64 game.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9wAmQeb9LM

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adair,
    I just peed a little laughing as I watched that ridiculous video.

    What the hell was going on in your childhood? Why on earth do they show a cow, a horse, then a package of ground chuck?
    And why the heck is that lamb sucking so much? And why does he look so angry while he does it?
    My sides hurt. This game probably scarred you in so many ways.

    on a more academic note...nope sorry I just cant do it. Whenever I try to think of something intelligent to say all I can picture is that angry Lamb sucking milk as someone screams "Yeah!" in the background.
    HA!
    I love your parents.

    -Craig
    P.S. the image of the lamb being born was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first video was...incredibly creepy, in an oddly entrancing way. And, ever notice that then name of the Scottish-accented character is Rodney Greenblat backwards? Clever thinking... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks for the responses folks. That whole game was incredibly bizarre and certainly help influence my present weirdness! Educational value? Practically zero. But, hey, you work with what you've got, right?

    ReplyDelete