Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembrance

This year I am really struck by how our national memory is aging. CBC reported this morning that the last Canadian WWI survivor died a few months ago; those remaining from the Second World War are noticeably getting on in years. With this passing of living memory it has become the younger generation's obligation to remember the significance of our relatives' sacrifices even if we know relatively little about their direct experiences. I don't know about about you folks but neither of my Grandpas were very forthcoming with their experiences of the war though it affected them profoundly. It's difficult to remember when our grandparents generation held so strongly to a culture of silence.

So this November 11th I remember my own perceptions of these men who I never really knew. I remember my Grandpa Harry who fought in the Pacific campaign, squeezed tight in a one-man sub, planting explosives in far away waters. I think of those who died because of his actions and am grateful that my life that was possible because he survived that hell. I think of my Grandpa Walt and his time in Italy and the connection he always felt to that place. Near the end of his years, after many rounds of chemo he had lost enough weight to fit back into his service uniform. Someone took a picture and it's often how I remember him, physically weak but strong in spirit, and lucky to have lived all those years after the war.

Remembrance Day does, however, bring up conflicting emotions in me. I do not agree with Canada's current military missions or the glorification of war, but I find solace in remembering my own ancestors who I love and respect and to whom I am very grateful.

I also like to take this time to think of those who have not always been so prominently remembered. Soldiers of Aboriginal descent had a strong presence in the Second World War. Initially, First Nations peoples were not exempt from conscription (with the exception of the Inuit), however several groups protested this mandatory service, some nations arguing it was against their treaty agreements. It wasn't until 1944 that the war cabinet granted this exemption to several groups but even then, many continued to volunteer for service.

Unfortunately, those that returned from fighting alongside their Euro-Candian counterparts found that they were still not equal in the eyes of the government. In many places, portions of already limited reserves had been given to Canadian farmers in order to increase wartime crop production, never to be returned. Indigenous veterans were also denied many of the benefits such as housing, employment offers and vocational training that white soldiers received. Such disparity after unfathomable hardship helped catalyze an Aboriginal activist movement that went on to fight for Indigenous rights. In 2002 the Canadian government finally recognized the sacrifices of First Nations veterans and the government's unjust treatment of these veterans them by offering cash settlements. I noticed today how the Canadian government was careful to maintain an Aboriginal presence, however minimal, within the national Remembrance Day ceremonies on Parliament Hill, providing an address in the Cree language in addition to English and French. I wonder how many Canadians listening knew about the unfair treatment of Aboriginal veterans. For me it is important to pay homage to those who have not always been at the forefront of the national memory in order to contemplate the consequences of not adequately remembering and honouring.

Anyways these are just a couple of my thoughts on this Remembrance Day. What or who do you remember today? How do you remember? Are ceremonies important to you or is it more of a personal experience? November 11th is a unique day in Canada and one of the only national events devoted entirely to the acts of remembering and honouring; I would love to know how you experience the it.

4 comments:

  1. Both an insightful and thought provoking post Adair. Like Terran's story, I am glad both of your grandparents were lucky enough to survive the war and go on to enjoy the freedom they fought for. My grandfather also fought in WWII but he is not very forthcoming with his experiences. It is heartbreaking to hear the story of how our country treated certain groups of people. It really brings home the fact that "freedom" is a term that has not been universal for many times in our history.

    Lest we Forget the sacrifices of all those who have fought for our freedom regardless their race, ethnicity, or creed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Adair. I like your phrase "culture of silence." It seems that some history will always belong only to those who experienced it.
    I haven't personally known anyone who served in any wars, so I'm always a bit surprised at how much I am affected by Remembrance Day. It is a very powerful day. For me, there are many moments in the day when I take off my historian's hat and think, not about the ceremonies or our national memory, but about all of the individuals (and their families) who have sacrificed for the country.
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating thoughts, Adair! I have relatives that fought overseas, survived concentration camps, and worked in war industries on the home front. One of my most memorable undergrad projects was an oral history of my soon-to-be 94 year old grandmother. She has great stories and artefacts to share (I'll have to show you the 1944 birthday telegraph sent to her from a soldier in Great Britain). I believe these stories are important, which is why I think ceremonies are important. Remembrance is personal, but with our aging national memory, I think we must talk and remember publicly to ensure we never forget the sacrifices made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adair,

    I enjoyed reading your thoughts on remberance, even though I am a few days late. I have to echo Joanna's interest in the term "culture of silence". I think you have really nailed it there.

    I also think that you are right in saying it can make it difficult to remember. I worry that this is not only the culture of those that fought, but that it has been passed on as well. For example, my maternal grandfather never fought in a war, and was only a small child in WWII. Yet until recently he did not talk about his father in regards to the war, or even his situation, because that was how he was raised.

    It is important to remember difficult history, but it can be hard for those involved (and those who inherit it after they are gone) to share it.

    ReplyDelete